A Four Corners Butterfly....

Sunday, September 27, 2015

in
You know how sometimes a particular fabric screams at you, demands to be made into a certain pattern RIGHT NOW?  Or is that only me?

Have you seen the new fabric line Four Corners by Simple Simon?  It's their first fabric line for Riley Blake, and we sell it in our shop.  Well, I was cutting some of this fabric for an order....a seriously bold print (right up my alley), black and white (also right up my alley) with gold metallic accents (right up Julia's alley)....so Julia saw me cutting this and asked me what I could make her from this fabric.

Lying on my table waiting to be used was the Butterfly Blouse and Skirt pattern from Oliver + S.  Yes, that would work!

So, while I still should be sewing school uniforms as my child really only has two complete outfits, I decided to join in with the Oliver + S Monochrome Challenge...even though the gold probably really doesn't count....





The skirt is a size 5.  I wanted a short cropped top and was looking at the Oliver + S Lunchbox pattern....but I knew I'd never make culottes.  So, I remembered the old standy - the Sailboat Top.  I made it in black ponte de Roma double knit from my shop.  I shortened it into a crop top and used snaps for the shoulder closures.   I used a size 6 to get the boxy look I was going for.

To get more use out of this adorable top, I decided to use some old gymnastics leotard fabric leftover from my leotard sewing days.....I used the Playtime leggings pattern from Oliver + S also.  I only have this pattern up to a size 4 and realistically should invest in the size 5.  This is a pattern I've gotten a TON of use out of if only for the leggings.  So these leggings are a size 4 with about 4 inches added to the length.









These have a kind of Peg Bundy vibe especially with the zebra print clogs.....I've stopped using elastic at the waist of this legging pattern and lower the waist by about 2 inches at the front and add ribbing.  Works perfectly.

Thanks for reading!!

5 comments:

  1. ahh so cute, all of it! I totally understand the fabric/pattern compulsion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peg Bundy never looked so good! I love the contrast waistband idea for those leggings. Both are gorgeous outfits and that skirt is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on!!!! I love both of these looks! Totally agree - Peg Bundy *WISHES.* Ahem. Hip, stylish, bold! I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love the skirt! The butterfly skirt pattern is the perfect pattern for that print.:) The Sailboat crop top is spot on with both the leggings and the skirt. 3 very nice pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that skirt! I bought some for my son but when i got it, i decided to stash it for myself for when i lose my baby weight (and college weight haha). I love those leggings too! Im going to check out that pattern!... And I am currently in the leotard sewing stage for dance.

    ReplyDelete